Author Topic: Lithium Ion Battery Buck-Boost Regulator 3.3V  (Read 14765 times)

Offline Raider

Lithium Ion Battery Buck-Boost Regulator 3.3V
« on: August 17, 2011, 03:25:15 PM »
I would like to see a lithium-ion buck-boost regulator for 3.3 volts using LTC3440 chip.
http://cds.linear.com/docs/LT%20Journal/Buck-Boost_LTC3440_Mar02_Mag.pdf
It also could be made for 5 volts.

Offline glena

Re: Lithium Ion Battery Buck-Boost Regulator 3.3V
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »
I would also like to see something like this but with a couple of additional features:

- Uses one li-ion cell.

- Can get switchable 3.3 or 5v out.  Should just take an additional resister and switch.  The switch could be a solder pad switch.

- Also has an input that can range from 5v to 12v which will charge the battery and/or supply the buck-boot converter.

I guess the power in could be limited to just 5v and use a 5v LDO in front.

The main use would be for projects that need 3.3 or 5v and can charge or run from USB power or other external power.

-Glen

Offline DSS Circuits

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:59:39 PM »
Raider I like the idea of this board, just curious though is there a reason you chose this particular IC?

Offline Raider

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:23:17 PM »
No real reason for use of this chip, other than information was found for the circuit.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slvu275/slvu275.pdf
This is another chip, TSP63030, with fewer external components.

Offline DSS Circuits

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 08:38:59 AM »
Just curious but what kind of output current requirements are people looking at for these types of boards?  The reason I ask is because there are several IC's for under $1.00 that will do this for 3.3V and 5V outputs and will supply a maximum output current of about 350mA.  As you start to get in the ranges of 500mA and up the prices increase considerably.

Offline glena

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »
I think I would be interested in both.  I think the lower power/cost would be more useful to me.   For higher power for things like motors I would just go directly to the battery anyway.

A second board for 500ma+ at a higher price would also be fine. 

My main thing would be that it charges a single li-ion or li-po cell and gives out clean 3.3v or 5.0v at 300+ma from a battery town to 3v.

-Glen
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:08:10 PM by glena »

Offline DSS Circuits

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:50:28 PM »
OK. Based off all the feedback this what I'm thinking.

First: A few different buck-boost converters with varying power levels.

Second: A complete Lipo power station based off TI's bQTiny series chargers.  It's a charger that uses either USB or AC adapter to charge the Lipo but the difference to compared to other chargers is it's actually a power station also.  There is a separate output channel that supplies your power using the USB or AC adapter input and pulls any extra current needed from the battery.  On top of this I'm going to integrate one/two buck boost converters to supply 5v and 3.3v.  I'm also going to try and integrate a USB enumeration circuit so it can automatically detect if the USB port is able to supply either 100 or 500mA so it can switch automatically to the higher mode.  In addition I'm going to integrate my Lipo fuel gauge so people can monitor battery charge also.

Offline Raider

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 01:30:14 PM »
I assume that a 6 Volt solar cell could be used as input power, to charge the battery.

Here is an example of an available shield from Seeedstudio.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/solar-charger-shield-v2-p-914.html?cPath=132_134

This shield is suppose to putout 500mA at 5v for Arduino, using analog pin for measuring charge volts.

Like your ideas, at what price?

Offline DSS Circuits

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 02:18:39 PM »
Yes a solar panel could be used, as a matter of fact TI has an app note http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slua394/slua394.pdf that discusses using one with the bqTINY series.

As for price, I don't know yet but it'll probably be in the $20 range.

Offline wilson89

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 01:57:38 AM »
The lithium Ion Battery Buck-Boost Regulator can solve the problem but it doesn't have enough power to last longer. A solar panel is a good idea but you have to think how you will attach it.

Offline BrunoKnepp

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 12:34:18 AM »
I assume that a 6 Volt ssolar panel could be used as input power, to charge the battery.

Here is an example of an available shield from Seeedstudio.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/solar-charger-shield-v2-p-914.html?cPath=132_134

This shield is suppose to putout 500mA at 5v for Arduino, using analog pin for measuring charge volts.

Like your ideas, at what price?

Yes it is feasible to use solar cell.. I have got similar system and it is working fine.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:04:13 PM by BrunoKnepp »